• Headaches & Flu-like symptoms: CO poisoning
CO can build up in a home and while you may have a UL listed CO monitor it is designed to not go off unless there is a very high level of CO or very long duration at moderate levels. See these standards. Long term, low level CO poisoning can have serious health effects like persistent headaches, flu-like symptoms that last too long and irritability (and you thought it was just your job)! Every year people die or are sent to the hospital due to CO poisoning caused by heating systems. See the articles in the Education section on CO.
  • Allergies, Asthma & Pollution
Outside air is constantly moving through your house. In fact, the typical house exchanges its full volume of air one to two times an hour! If you have allergies or asthma closing the windows won’t prevent the outside air from coming in. How does the air get in? Through all the hole, cracks and crevasses in the building envelope. The air comes in through the cracks in building materials, past the old insulation, up through the moldy basement where you keep the old paint cans, maybe through the attached garage where you start the car in the morning. You get the idea and it’s not pretty. Materials you thought would be air tight actually breath. Concrete, masonry or brick walls for example. This is the air you are breathing daily. Air sealing and installing a ventilation system with a HEPA filter could help.
  • Mold & Mildew
Mold and mildew form wherever there is water and an organic material. Mold spores are in the air all the time. Usually we are not bothered by them unless the concentration is high or we have an allergic reaction. Mold can cause the gradual destruction of wood and paper products, including your roof.